Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Help and support

Coronavirus (COVID-19) is affecting all of us in different ways, and we appreciate your support and patience as we find the best ways to protect and assist customers.

We’re working hard to be here for you and have created these Coronavirus FAQs which answer many common questions.

We’ve also made temporary changes to some of our products, and you can find out more below.

Frequently asked questions

This advice does not replace the terms and conditions of your policy and you should read your policy booklet for further information.